Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu

Well, as of today at 5:30pm there are no confirmed cases of swine flu in Jalisco, which is the state I live in here in Mexico, however the Governor of Jalisco has ordered all restaurants here closed except for take out food until May 6th. That's pretty alarming to me. I'm gonna have to cook more and I worry for the restaurants here at Lake Chapala who depend on tourists and/or gringos for their main customer base.

Roy, who is the quintessential under reactor, is not worried at all. I, of the get more nervous and lean towards panic group, am a bit more concerned. I'm hoping that the W.H.O. is being diligent about their reporting so they get everyone's attention and possibly more funding for vaccines and this is not going to be a black plague event in the 21st century.

When you live in a foreign country maybe you feel more vulnerable. I wish I was in the US right now, but don't want to get on an airplane which is the 3rd rail in spreading germs.

A very few people here lakeside are wearing face covers, which the CDC and WHO say doesn't do anything except keep your germs off someone else. But if it makes you feel better -- go for it!

I want to go out and stock pile water, canned foods, soda, vodka...

Keep you posted...

3 comments:

bill said...

I hope you are ok, I was just chatting with a canadian friend living in ajijc and he too was surprised by the restaurant closures.

Ginger Blymyer said...

Hi Donna, stay safe down there. The most important thing is to keep up your immune system. Last year I was living there and got the Coxsackie virus which was awful, but my immune system was so low. It took so long to get over, so stay well. You can write to me on my blog and maybe would like to read my book. It is for sale at Dianes.
www.flyingintothesun.com I have lots of things to respond to and would love to correspond to you. Ginger Blymyer
I lived there for fifteen months until my husband passed away this January. It was wonderful but alone I felt I wanted to be closer to my family. Enjoy

maxine said...

Glad you remain safe. Holding good thoughts and hope to see you again this summer.