Friday, April 3, 2009

Are We Safe Here?

I've had lots of friends and family asking me if I feel safe here in Mexico -- what with all the negative press you're getting in the US on CNN (Catastrophe News Network) and the traditional big 3 networks. In a word...YES!

We live in the western central highlands of Mexico in the State of Guadalajara. Most of what you hear and see on the news in the US is about what is happening on the border states. We are far, far away from the "gangland" stuff and it seems that you're safe in Mexico as long as you are not living close to the US!

Roy and I have often said that we feel as safe here in Ajijic as we did in Bellaire. We were in Patzcuaro, Morelia last weekend for our 10th anniversary watching CNN on TV and watching Anderson Cooper reporting from Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, Texas on the other side of the border. WE WERE IN MEXICO and hearing how unsafe it was and how Mexico was near a failed state! It's hard to equate walking around a beautiful plaza with Mexican families and young people walking around, eating dinner, taking pictures, selling "stuff", and hearing that this country has failed and everyone should run for their lives!

I'm not denying what is happening in the border cities. It is very scary and sad -- but mostly, I think, for those involved in the illegal activities both here in Mexico and in the US. I don't assume to know what the answers are, but I am very happy and proud that President Calderon has been so committed to trying to solve this enormous problem.

Don't worry about us. We are very happy here and feel so very safe in our little neighborhood. I don't know all my neighbors' names, but I say hello every day and waive to those I see when I'm out in the village. We are not isolated here. Like any neighborhood, we know who belongs and who's "new in town".

1 comment:

maxine said...

Beautifully said. Thanks you.