Monday, December 8, 2008

Lazy Weekend and ramdom thoughts

Okay, this is not a first -- I never got dressed all weekend long. I didn't get out of the bedroom on Saturday until 6:30 or 7:00pm except to feed myself, the dogs, and hummingbirds. Sunday I did leave the bedroom, however, and ventured as far as the living room to watch TV shows I had TiVo'd. That was around 10:00am.

I knitted, read, watched TV, and played games on Pogo.com (which by the way if you don't know about this website, and like to play lots of different free games, I highly recommend). I love weekends like this. No one was here but me and the doggies.

I would be happy if groceries would just appear in the kitchen. All the food doesn't have to come cooked, although frozen stuff you just heat and serve isn't bad. I love my alone, quiet time. I think I could live like a hermit, just my pets and me, for a long time. I think, though, that I'd require electricity for my satellite radio, a coffee pot, the refrigerator of course, and my phone so I could talk to people. Calls would be controlled, I think only outgoing at first -- to see how I liked that -- not sure how long I would want to be isolated and control the isolation, just a thought...

When I was a little girl and we had moved from the farm into "town", my bedroom was on the top level of our house -- if you know what a "Cape Cod" house is there are multiple levels of 1/2 floor plans so from the outside it looks like a 2 story house, but there are really 3. Anyway, I lived upstairs across the hall from my Meemaw (I loved her so much and she loved me too). We shared a 1/2 bath in the middle. My room was also the way you got into the attic, through my closet. When I was small I used to hang out in my closet -- could be because it was away from all the chaos in the house. I think I felt safer there. I had my dolls and my own world. I think that's where I went to "survive". Could be that my bedroom has always been the place that I felt safest. I could "hide" from the world "out there" and pretend I was in control. Just another thought...

I gravitate towards activities that I can do alone. Knitting, reading, watching TV, gardening, these activities don't require group participation -- although you can do most of them with other people. Sometimes I like doing some of them with other people especially knitting -- that seems to be an activity that calls out for community. What are you working on? Where did you get that pattern, yarn, needles, etc. I want to do that too, want to do a knit along together? I feel pretty safe in this community. Good people -- knitters and crocheters. My Aunt taught me to knit and crochet when I was young. I loved her too and she loved me. She was one of my anchors then. Meemaw, Aunt Gertrude, Joy -- they all helped keep me here, grounded.

Anyway, it's Monday now and I have to get out of bed soon (I'm writing this from my laptop) and shower cause Socorro will be here around 10:00 and I have my Spanish class at 11:30. So here I go, preparing to reenter the outside world.

WOW, that came up from nowhere. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

maxine said...

Yay for what we call "skank ho weekends". I try to have one every other and sometimes it seems every weekend. It is a time to renew and recharge. Embrace it any time you can and yes, tell us more!