Thursday, October 16, 2008

Not your grandma's granny square

Sock Yarn Blanket Project


The first tier

I'm so excited I'm about to burst. Got lots to say...thinking of cute quips and lead ins about this project I started on Sunday to use up bits of leftover sock yarn. I found this pattern on Ravelry, and I'm sorry I don't remember where, but I put it in my queue 'cause it was so different.

It's called "Sock Yarn Blanket." A young mother, Shelly Kang, has posted all the details on her blog, The Heathen Housewife. She wrote this about 2 years ago in the wee hours of the morning in between breast feedings, cooking for her growing family, and knitting (she's an incredible knitter -- I wish I had her talent!)

When I was younger, I used to make granny square blankets with my leftover yarn from crocheting. Remember the movie, Like Water for Chocolate, the young woman in that movie kept crocheting a long, long thingie while she was grieving. The end of the movie is her walking down a long road with this thing following behind her for miles. At that time in my life, I too was crocheting to deal with some recent grief in my life. Now that I'm a knitter and have learned to make mitered squares, which in my opinion are much cooler looking than granny squares, I decided to make a mitered square blanket.

I have collected an amazing stash of sock yarn, much to the chagrin of my sweet husband. Now I have something to do with this stash. Have to admit though, I'm feeling guilty not making socks with some these Opal, Koigu, Cherry Tree Hill, Lorna's Laces yarns 'cause they are so beautiful.

I am a collector. Ask Roy...... I have in the past collected bears, angels, rocks, crystals, coffee mugs, watermelon stuff, shoes, silver jewelry, and most recently yarns. I have a lot of stuff! I have a lot of yarn! I love yarn! I have yarn that I don't even know what to make with it, but it's sooo beautiful and that's why I wanted it. I have been blessed to have the means to have lots of stuff and especially yarn.

So now I'm making something with these socks yarns that I've collected. Hope this puts a smile on my DH's face.

A few of my favorite things!



No comments: