Saturday, May 9, 2009

Feather & Fan

too close and I can't get it in focus!


I have knitted many feather & fan shawls, baby blankets and samplers, but when I received this pattern (as a surprise) in the mail from my buddy Virginia Martinez I was looking for something to knit. This fit the bill.

I had previously gotten two different colorways of the new Noro Silk Garden sock yarn and so was ready to go. If I had gotten the pattern and then gone out to find yarn for the project I would not have used these two colorways -- one was for socks for Roy and the other was going to be a pair of bright socks for me. When I was working on the shawl, I wasn't sure I liked how it was turning out, but Roy kept telling me it was pretty.

One of the things I learned early on is that when you're the knitter you are sometimes too close to the project to see it the way others will. This is one of those projects. I think it turned out really well because of the light/dark effect of the two yarns -- two rows with one ball and two rows with the other.

I wish I cold take better pictures of my knitting, cause I think it's much prettier in person than in these pictures. Anyway...

3 comments:

maxine said...

Totally gorgeous. I have a ton of sock yarn that might be appropriate for exactly this. What size needle did you use?

Anonymous said...

Donna - that is gorgeous - I love all of that color - the lace that you showed most recent is lovely with the intrical detail - once I went "silver" now about 95 to 98% - I need to wear more intense and many times darker colors - so I suppose I "see" these more readily - anyway, so glad to be connected - know about this blog and read about your life - have just gotten on - so I'm interested to see the dogs and your home, etc. - so glad that you are writing, as well as knitting these days. Love you, Annie

Reta said...

I think it's beautiful Donna! A fun and fresh mix of colors.