Sunday, November 9, 2008

Christmas is coming

I can hardly believe another year has almost passed. I'm starting to panic about Christmas presents. Every year I plan to make more and more things for gifts, but I have a problem making and giving knitted things for people who look at them and respond with "oh, thanks"! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! SERIOUSLY? It's only happened a few times. I'm a quick learner here.

I am making socks for my 81 year old day this year. He asked me for a pair. I'm also making socks for a friend's mom who is a needle worker herself so she'll be happy and appreciative about getting handmade socks. I have been working on an afghan for my housekeeper -- it's about 15% done -- YIKES. I'm running out of time.

I guess the thing that's hard for me about giving hand knitted things is when people who don't make things with their hand don't get it -- how much time and effort goes into making anything by hand. If this means I have expectations and should be able to give something with no strings attached, then I'm just not there. I can buy something and/or give you a gift card or money and do that without expectations -- but when it comes from my heart and hands it's a bit harder for me to be detached.

Then it seems, there are people who don't want something that's hand made -- no matter who made it or what it is. I understand this to some degree, but there's nothing more special then to receive something that with every stitch and turn of the needles love and good thoughts are placed into the fabric created. And those thoughts and well wishes are just for you alone!

WOW that was cathartic! Gotta run -- need to keep knitting.

1 comment:

The Fowlers said...

I love everything you knit!! But no pressure to make anything for me this year. Seems you have a lot. Just wanted you to know that I always appreciate it. The blankets that you made for Forrest are coming in handy with our colder weather. But I have to fight Joseph for the REALLY soft blue and white one. It's his favorite but not his size.

Love,
Lauren